Not long ago, Bloglovin’ updated their logo and buttons (it’s about time). They also added a shiny new follow by email widget. What? A FREE FOLLOW BY EMAIL OPTION!?! grabby hands
NEVER never never never never EVER switch to a follow by email option before TESTING IT YOURSELF! ASSUME NOTHING!
Now, Bloglovin’s Follow by Email option had me very curious. Why would they offer this service and how did it work…I set out on a mission to find out and here are my findings.
First, I created a brand new gmail account and added Bloglovin’s widget to my sidebar.
I entered my new email, followed and then confirmed my subscription.
Then I left the mailbox alone and waited 2 weeks.
2 Weeks Later….
After 2 weeks, I have posted 5 times since then. Here’s what the inbox looks like:
WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS CRAP!?!?! How did 5 posts get turned into more than 3 times as many emails?
Not only that, but one of my discussion posts isn’t even in here anywhere!? Ya know what those other 11 emails are? SPAM. You are essentially spamming your readers with random Bloglovin’ crap.
But maybe the emails “Latest from These Paper Hearts & more” are good?
What’s Actually Inside the Email?
Oh, look. I get a little excerpt and then a bunch of random popular posts with food pictures…?
That’s it?! >_>
This is NOT how your subscribe to email should work
- You are spamming your email followers. They’re getting over 3 times as many emails than they were expecting.
- They never receive your full post in an email. It’s just an excerpt with a bunch of other posts
- Your post could be combined with other Bloglovin’ blogs they follow (you don’t stand out in their inbox)
- Apparently Bloglovin could also not send an update email for your posts
So when someone new comes and subscribes to your blog, they also subscribe to Bloglovin’. You’re like a package deal at that point. The problem is, you’re very likely annoying your follower with all these emails and their anger could very well be directed at you!
How should an email subscription work?
- You sign up for emails and confirm subscription
- You receive a new email with that blogger’s full post inside each day that they publish a new post
Guess what, if I wanted to follow blogs via Bloglovin’, I would create a Bloglovin’ account and do that! I LIKE Bloglovin and actually use it a lot myself, but this I could never get behind. If you want people to follow you through Bloglovin’ then add one of the follower widgets, not the email follow widget.